In today’s time of extreme fitness and a ‘size zero’ body, the concept of a balanced diet needs to be clearly understood in addition to exercise routines. In my practice, I get a lot of patients wanting to lose weight and many of them talk about drastic weight losses through figure correction and a whole host of different diets. This article focuses on maintaining a healthy and balanced diet.
A balanced diet fulfills a person’s nutritional needs as per the body requirements. Humans must have a certain number of calories and nutrients to stay healthy and remain functional.
I do not believe in the concept of crash dieting or following a diet allowing only certain food items. The whole concept of a diet is that a person needs to eat all the nutrients, namely carbohydrates, fats, proteins and minerals in certain ratios. Each constituent element of our body is essential and each needs to be fed accordingly.
- Provide energy
- Store energy
- Build macro-molecules
- Spare protein and fats for other uses
- Provide body energy and support cell growth
- Protect organs while keeping your body warm
- Absorb nutrients and produce hormones
- Essential to maintain integrity of cells
- Source of amino acids in the body
- Provide muscle mass in the body
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Maintaining the integrity of body
- Helps in fighting infections
- Helps in preventing diseases
Each component should be fed in the right ratios to ensure a healthy and functioning body. It is important to understand the roles each of the components play within the body so that you can feed them accordingly. Check out our favorite recipes to maintain a balanced diet. A balanced diet will help you keep healthy, fit and functioning always!